Sustainability is an open-ended, ongoing process which requires constant updates. Zendmen Travel Mongolia is committed to supporting sustainable tourism development through our operation, and here are some of the steps we have taken in the past year.
- Purchase/procurement from local sources: Supporting local businesses is one of the fundamentals of sustainable development. Thus, we actively look for local suppliers for our new projects. Locally sourced purchases made in 2019 notably includes saddles for horse riding expeditions, giveaways during international travel shows, gifts to our clients.
- Support of volunteer initiatives against child sexual abuse and domestic violence: We are supporting “Beautiful Hearts” NGO since 2012, whose campaigns against child sexual abuse and domestic violence. We are truly grateful to be a part of the activities Beautiful Hearts NGO is making against sexual exploitation. Our greatest gratitude goes to those of you who were willing to donate in such incentives in 2019.
- Locally sourced food – Mongolia is a country of beef and lamb as you know. Our expeditions with multi-day camping source its food from local suppliers. Thanks to those of you who were grounded and enjoyed your Mongolian cuisine experience.
- Social responsibility on selecting local horse wrangler: Sustainable tourism means paying attention to the beneficiary parts from tourism and delivering the share to those who in need. Thus, we selected economically vulnerable locals to be a crew member in our horse riding expeditions.
- Inspecting local partners: To make sure the horses involved in our expeditions are treated properly, we conducted an audit on the place. Those who take good care of their livestock have been chosen to be involved in our expeditions.
- Reduction of the single-use plastic bottle: Zendmen Travel implemented no single-use water bottle policy in our operation. We provided our clients with Zendmen Travel aluminium water bottles. Big water canisters with water pumps were used during the trips. Thanks to those of you who supported us accepting our no single-use plastic initiative and brought their water bottles to the trip.
- Implementing biodegradable litter bags: We adopted biodegradable litter bags in our operation. Non-biodegradable litter bags have been avoided from use in office and during the trips.
- Anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policy in our operation: We are against every sort of harassment and discrimination. Thus, we implemented an anti-discrimination and anti-harassment policy which is understood by the staff when signing a contract with Zendmen Travel.
- No visit to orphanage centres: Even though there are many souls want to help vulnerable parts during their trip, it’s time to look at the outcomes of the effort we are making. As orphanage is becoming no longer the right option for meaningful child care, we started advising our clients not to visit orphanages.